I am a survivor of extremely severe ritualistic childhood abuse and sadistic systematic torture. Without God's intervention in my life I wouldn't be here - NOW is the time for me to tell MY story by speaking the TRUTH about MY life. I will be silenced no more! On this blog I share MY life, MY healing journey; helpful quotes/stuff I come across and MY thoughts along the way. The more I speak out the more liberated I am from the shame and trauma of the abuse. My broken wings are gradually being restored. This blog has helped me begin to get my voice back and documents the journey God is taking me on to heal me from the trauma and damage caused by that most appalling abuse.

Tuesday, 22 June 2010

The Most Beautiful Garment

I came across the following article a couple of days ago and it so helped me that I thought I'd reproduce it here.

"[HE has sent me] to provide for those who grieve in Zion, to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair." Isaiah 61:3

This morning, as I was listening to the news, something caught my attention. The presenter was talking about a relatively new way to ‘cure’, or counter-attack depression. It was a method called Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, recognized in the US and Israel, but still being tested in other places, which involves stimulating with a magnet the area of our brain, as big as a 50p coin, that regulates our emotions (whether it’s sadness or joy). A doctor explained that, when we are depressed, this part of our nervous system is almost non-active, hence the idea of stimulating it to improve the spirits of the patient. My curiosity aroused, I listened closely, as they debated the efficiency of this innovation.

Soon after, as I was reading Isaiah 61, the Lord suddenly struck a chord in my heart with the verse above – ‘Ashes’, ‘mourning’, ‘despair’. God was talking about depression there! HE was basically saying that HE’D sent and anointed Jesus as THE remedy against depression. It suddenly dawned on me that scientists had been looking for a way to improve or heal the symptoms of depression but they often by passed the real, broken-heart condition of a person. This verse, however, tells us of a God of compassion, who brings real healing, HIS healing, to those that are desperate, helpless, hopeless (‘flat’, as the part of our brain that we mentioned earlier).

It’s interesting that Isaiah describes the contrary of a ‘spirit of despair’ as a ‘garment of praise!’ When I was a teenager I remember being incapable of singing because my heart had been so broken. I despaired when I realised how much ‘spark’ had gone out of me, and how I’d got to the point of just letting life go on around me. But little by little God’s love undertook a major work of healing in me, and one day, to my amazement, I found myself able to sing worship songs. I could literally feel my spirit breathe, and knew God had already accomplished a huge work of restoration in me. David said in Psalm 23:3, ‘HE restores my soul’ and it’s my prayer that those who are mourning today should experience that restoration. - Claudia Chaigne


Jesus, thank YOU so much for the hope YOU bring to me. YOU’VE come to heal the broken-hearted and YOU were anointed by God. Lord, I pray that today YOU’D give me a garment of praise in place of a broken and desperate spirit. I come to YOU because YOU ARE interested in me, and because YOU have compassion for me. Thank YOU that I can come to YOU with my broken heart and uncertain desperate spirit and know YOU receive me and gently restore me.

2 comments:

Eve said...

This is really beautiful. I have within the last year just come to realize that we are oign to hae those down times. Those valley times. Those times where nothing seems beautiful. But I always thought that I had to "push my way to the break-through" and I was wrong. It isn't getting through it quickly. It is about realizing that God is there in the midst of it. Figuring out what the triggers are and understanding how to see the light at the end of the tunnel. After all, we wouldn't be thankful for the mountain tops if we had never been stuck in the valleys:)

Eve said...

Okay, seriously, I think that you better read today's verse too on BG. I think the Lord is speaking to you through these verses:)