I am a survivor of extremely severe ritualistic childhood abuse and sadistic systematic torture. Without God's intervention in my life I wouldn't be here - NOW is the time for me to tell MY story by speaking the TRUTH about MY life. I will be silenced no more! On this blog I share MY life, MY healing journey; helpful quotes/stuff I come across and MY thoughts along the way. The more I speak out the more liberated I am from the shame and trauma of the abuse. My broken wings are gradually being restored. This blog has helped me begin to get my voice back and documents the journey God is taking me on to heal me from the trauma and damage caused by that most appalling abuse.

Saturday, 9 October 2010

Helpful Quotations

I came across the following quotes on the Facebook page “Overcoming Sexual Abuse” today. They so helped, inspired and encouraged me that I decided to borrow them and quote them here without any further comment from me.

"Our parents plant mental and emotional seeds in us - seeds that grow as we do. In some families, these are seeds of love, respect, and independence. But in many others, they are seeds of fear, obligation, or guilt. As you grew into adulthood, these seeds grew into invisible weeds that invaded your life in ways you never dreamed of"
~ Toxic Parents by Susan Forward

“It is during childhood that humans acquire their first ideas about who they are and unfortunately, they believe these falsehoods for the rest of their lives. Victims are initiated into a pattern of abuse, including self abuse, not in adulthood, but in childhood. Every one of us comes into adulthood with a second-hand opinion of who we are"
~ Am I Bad? Dr. Heyward Ewart

“Abused children receive confusing messages about sex and love, trust and betrayal. The abuser often says “I’m doing this because I love you,” and then hurts the child. The child learns she can’t trust the people she loves, and that she doesn’t have a choice about being close to someone else"
~ Allies In Healing, Laura Davis

“The point of healing is to get through the pain, and on to other parts of life. But that process can’t be rushed or hurried. It’s essential that the survivor get the support they need for as long as they need it… it’s only by fully facing the pain and rage and terror that survivors become free to move on"
~ Allies In Healing, Laura Davis

“Abuse manipulates and twists a child’s natural sense of trust and love. Her innocent feeling are belittle or mocked, and she learns to ignore her feelings. She can’t afford to feel the full range of feelings in her body while she’s being abused - pain, outrage, hurt, vengeance, confusion, arousal. So she short-circuits and goes numb”
~ Allies In Healing, Laura Davis

“Sexual abuse causes children to feel devalued. If you are used by others and then tossed aside, your own needs unrecognized, what value could you possibly believe you have, aside from being an object? Because they were not valued, Survivors continue to neglect themselves just as they were neglected as children.”
~ The Right to Innocence, Beverly Engel

No comments: