I am a survivor of extremely severe ritualistic childhood abuse and sadistic systematic torture. Without God's intervention in my life I wouldn't be here - NOW is the time for me to tell MY story by speaking the TRUTH about MY life. I will be silenced no more! On this blog I share MY life, MY healing journey; helpful quotes/stuff I come across and MY thoughts along the way. The more I speak out the more liberated I am from the shame and trauma of the abuse. My broken wings are gradually being restored. This blog has helped me begin to get my voice back and documents the journey God is taking me on to heal me from the trauma and damage caused by that most appalling abuse.

Saturday, 6 August 2011

TALKING SEXUALITY/GENDER ISSUES

My last 2 sessions with 'T' have been really interesting and very helpful. We've started to talk about some really important issues for me - my sexuality and gender confusion.

I am taking a HUGE risk writing this post but I would not be honest about my struggles by ignoring these KEY issues in my life and not writing about them. I have alluded to these issues in previous posts and hinted at them.

Being a Christian I've tried to talk about these issues with other Christians over the years and have met with judgement and closed minds. I've had verses from the bible thrown at me. I've been shouted down. I've been told I'm "a sinner" to have such issues. I've been told I'm "a sinner" just to say that I identity as gay. I've heard gays being condemned from the pulpit hundreds upon hundreds of times over the years.

It is impossible to have a conversation about sexuality issues without the 'sin' word being thrown around and the conversation getting heated and polarised. 

I've tried many times over the years to address this issue but without success. It is one of the reasons why I left the church. 

Contrary to what many people believe it is not a choice to be gay or straight. 

A straight person would never consider that they chose to be straight, they just happen to be straight. But when it comes to any other expression of sexuality it is always a choice, oh and it's always a sin too, oh and no one "just happens to be gay".

Well I've got news for these religious people - it is not always choice and nor is it a sin to be what you are. There has to be a separation of the "being" and the "doing". 

Sadly very few Christians make that separation in their thinking. They are very black and white and in so doing express something akin to hatred for people who's sexual identity is different. 

Human sexuality is not as black and white as many people, especially Christians, perceive. Human sexuality is a very complex subject and more of a continuum than something set in stone. 

Another thing most Christians say is that the answer for gays is to "come to Jesus and He will free you and make you straight." That assumption and assertion is deeply flawed and certainly not my experience.

I have no doubt that my gender and sexuality confusion have their roots in the abuse in my childhood. The big question for me is "would I have had these issues anyway and has the abuse compounded them?" I will never know the answer to that question. The only thing I do know is that I could not cope with a straight sexual relationship and identify as gay. However, I also discovered that I wasn't comfortable with a lesbian sexual encounter either. I feel like there is a tird category that I fall into although I definitely identify as gay.

My own experience of God tells me that how the bible is translated and applied by the vast majority of Christians on this issue is plainly wrong. It does not marry up with my own experience of the love and acceptance of God. God loves gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people. Many Christians would not agree with that statement but they are seriously misrepresenting God in so doing.

So many Christians have said to me "oh I love homosexuals, gays etc" but everything that has come out of their mouths has proved otherwise. It is time for a revolution of love and compassion in the body of Christ towards people who are different from the perceived norm.

The only way I've sought to honour God in my sexuality is to be celibate and I've been celibate for 25 years. However, that has not resolved the issues for me. And most importantly it has kept me alone. 

In relation to my gender I've felt all my life like a male in a female body. Even as a child I wanted to be a boy kicking a football around and riding a bike in the streets. not a girl sitting indoors knitting and sewing. As an adult I've always felt like a man trapped in a woman's body. I naturally gravitate towards masculine activities, clothing and looks. I even researched how much it would cost to undergo gender reassignment surgery and very seriously considered it for several years. That is how bad I've always felt in my body.

In working with 'T' I have found someone who has a lot of understanding of these issues as well as a lot of respect for me as a Christian. Someone who is willing to talk about these very deep and painful issues in depth with compassion and understanding. 

It is an enormous relief to finally talk about this stuff without being shouted down, without being judged and condemned, without the 'sin' word being thrown around. There are no easy answers and no easy solutions but boy the relief at finally being able to be free and safe to talk about this stuff is really liberating. 

I know I have a long way to go on this. There is so much to talk about and think through but I have begun. Most of all I know God knows me and knows my heart and thoroughly accepts me. It is sinful, judgemental and plain wrong for anyone to say otherwise. 


4 comments:

Eve said...

Most of all I know God knows me and knows my heart and thoroughly accepts me. It is sinful, judgemental and plain wrong for anyone to say otherwise.

I think this sums it all up very well! Much love to you today my friend! I thank you for your openness and honesty and you courage! I am glad you have T to talk to on this and will be praying for you to get the breakthroughs you need and desire.

love,
Eve

Princess Fi said...

Thanks Eve, it took enormous courage to write this post. I have mentioned these issues before and talked around them out of fear about how people would react if I said it as it was. But I realise I am not going to make progress unless I am totally honest and say it as it is. These are very deep issues for me and to be honest deep and key issues for anyone. It is such a relief to be able to be honest and upfront about it all. Thanks for your love and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Dear Fi
You are an amazing courageous friend.
Well done for being so honest in getting it out in the open. The truth is setting you free!!! Bless you. Love & hugs Steph XXX

Princess Fi said...

Thanks Steph, bless you my friend!!